LGBTQ+ Health and Support
As part of Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services’ mission, it is our goal to promote the health, safety, and well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer/questioning plus (LGBTQ+) individuals. We know that our LGBTQ+ community is a resilient, diverse group of people with unique needs that must be addressed through an accessible network of resources and unique assets that must be fostered and supported.
Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services has a vision for a vibrant community where everyone is treated equally, no matter their gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, religion, ability, etc. We envision an LGBTQ+ community free from discrimination and bias in health and social interactions, where LGBTQ+ individuals:
- Know their health status, including potential health risks,
- Know what programs and services are available to support their health, safety, and well-being,
- Interface with LGBTQ+ competent public service professionals, and,
- Experience optimal quality of life within inclusive and accepting families and communities.
I’m looking for:
Click below for local resources and information pertaining to a number of healthcare priorities for LGBTQ+ people.
It is recognized that fear of discrimination leads many LGBTQ+ people to avoid addressing their health and social needs. When engaged in care and public services, studies indicate that LGBTQ+ people are not consistently treated with respect, understanding, compassion, and empathy.
According to Healthy People 2020, we as public service professionals and community members must pay specific attention to a number of LGBTQ+ health disparities, including:
- LGBT youth are 2 to 3 times more likely to attempt suicide
- Transgender individuals have a high prevalence of HIV/STDs, victimization, mental health issues, and suicide and are less likely to have health insurance than heterosexual or LGB individuals
- LGBT older adults face additional barriers to health because of isolation and a lack of social services and culturally competent providers
- LGBT populations have the highest rates of tobacco, alcohol, and other drug use
Call to Action
We strive to be an equitable, knowledgeable, sensitive, and welcoming resource. We ask our community members and healthcare partners to help us to end these disparities and safeguard comprehensive and inclusive services for all by advocating for LGBTQ+ people and fighting against LGBTQ+ discrimination and bias.
As you may have seen earlier this month, CenterLink’s long-time LGBTQ Wellness Roundup podcast has been remade from the ground up at the HealthLink PrideCast! This new format will allow us to share in-depth stories on LGBTQ community health,...
Our HealthLink PrideCast will feature in-depth, original content focused on LGBTQ community health - including news for and by our 300+ LGBTQ centers. Our first episode features an interview with Dr. Demetre Daskalakis, who serves as Deputy...
Each week LGBT HealthLink, a Program of CenterLink, brings you a round-up of some of the biggest LGBTQ wellness stories from the past week. You can LISTEN to our Weekly Wellness Roundup podcast! Subscribe...
- Live Healthy PA: LGBT Provider Toolkit (LGBTQ+ health provider resources)
- Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index Report (national LGBTQ+ scorecard and assessment tool for health systems)
- National LGBTQIA+ Health Education Center (clearinghouse for LGBTQ+ health education and systems resources)
- National LGBT Task Force (clearinghouse for LGBT health policy and best practices)
- National Resource Center on LGBT Aging (clearinghouse for LGBT health resources for older adults)
Trans Health Providers
- University of California San Francisco Trans Health Guidelines (best-practices comprehensive guidelines for primary and gender-affirming care for transgender people)
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health: Standards of Care (best-practices comprehensive guidelines for primary and gender-affirming care for transgender people)
- National Center for Transgender Equality (clearinghouse for health and social equity resources for transgender people)
- Trans Patients and Best Practices for Frontline Staff (resource for frontline staff providing care to transgender people)
Mental and Behavioral Health Providers
- PFLAG Kulpsville (for Montgomery County parents and families of LGBTQ+ children)
- Local PFLAG Chapters (for local parents and families of LGBTQ+ children)
- Philadelphia Family Pride (for parents and families of LGBTQ+ children)
- Gender Spectrum (extensive topic-by-topic guide for parents and families of LGBTQ+ children)
- Our Children (PFLAG guide for parents and families of LGBTQ+ children)
- Our Trans Loved Ones (PFLAG guide for transgender and genderqueer children)
- Trevor Support Center (a one-stop-shop for LGBTQ+ youth and their allies to explore topics and FAQs)
- Adoption, Foster Care, and LGBTQ+ Families (helpful resources for LGBTQ+ parents looking to adopt or foster)