Long-Term Care Ombudsman

If you or someone you know are in a care facility and believe that your/their rights have been violated, you may want the help of an Ombudsman. An ombudsman will help address and remedy any concerns you may have about the care you receive - including your rights, health, safety, and welfare in Personal Care Homes, Nursing Homes, Domiciliary Care Homes, and Adult Day Centers.

What Is An Ombudsman?

  • A trained individual who can help if you have a complaint or problem with any long-term care service.
  • A source of information about your rights as a consumer and assistance in exercising those rights.
  • An advocate for high standards of quality of care who promotes strict enforcement of those standards.
  • A promoter of the highest quality of life for care-dependent Pennsylvanians.
  • A consumer representative who works within the legislative and rule-making process to improve long-term care service throughout the state.
  • A person who assists long-term care consumers in pursuing remedies to their problems.

Who Uses the Ombudsman?

  • Residents of nursing, personal care homes, assisted living facilities, and domiciliary care homes.
  • Individuals receiving long-term care services in their homes and community.
  • Families and friends of individuals who live in nursing or personal care homes.
  • Staff of long-term care facilities
  • Government agencies

What Kinds of Issues Are Handled?

  • Concerns about the quality of care or treatment from a long-term care service provider.
  • Questions about billing and charges, including those covered by Medicare and Medicaid.
  • Appeals regarding transfers, discharges, discontinuance or charges in services.

Who can you contact?

If you need help, have a question or concern about long-term care, call the Long Term Care Ombudsman program at the Center for Advocacy for the Rights and Interests of the Elderly (CARIE) at 610-860-5050 or 1-800-356-3606, or contact the program via email.


Elder Abuse Hotline - 1-800-734-2020