Applications & Permits

Highway Occupancy PermitMontCo HOP Process

A Highway Occupancy Permit (HOP) is required for all construction within the right-of-way of a county road or adjacent to a county road. This includes:

  • Installation of driveway or access road
  • Installation of new utility line or service
  • Installation of traffic signal
  • Installation of walls, fences, signs, and banners
  • Repairs to existing utility line or service
  • Road widening

The HOP permitting process begins when all materials are submitted to the division of Roads & Bridges. These materials include:

  1. Application for Highway Occupancy Permit,
  2. Opening of Highway Agreement and Highway Occupancy Permit Rider,
  3.  and respective application fee submitted by check.

The process to obtain an HOP is extensive and will require a minimum 30-45 days for processing and review. We advise you to consider your construction timeline prior to applying for a permit.

Please see the following documents for more detailed information:

Special Hauling Permit

Vehicles that exceed the legal weight limit (currently 80,000 pounds or 40 tons) must carry a Special Hauling Permit when traveling on county roads. Application should be made at least one business day in advance of the movement.

Application for Special Hauling Permit and General Conditions